Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPad. All you need is an idea and a Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iPad at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBookstore with a few simple steps. And before you know it, you're a published author.
- Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
- Easily customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
- Use the Book Navigator to organize your book and add a cover and table of contents
Beautiful text and layouts
- Use a variety of text styles in each template to give your book a rich yet consistent look
- Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
- Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
- Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
- Automatically create a portrait view of your book, which allows readers to focus on the text
- Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
- Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, Keynote presentation, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
- Widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
- Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for iBookstore or iTunes U
- Preview your book in iBooks on an iPad to see how it looks and works
- Easily add a cover, video introduction, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
- Submit your book to the iBookstore for sale or free download with a few simple steps
- Export your book in iBooks format to share on iTunes U or to give to others
- Create a version of your book as a PDF file
|iBooks Author||Free||Mac OS X 10.7.2 or later.|
Creating a book through iBooks puts you in the driver's seat, if you will, because you do it all on your own and based on your own personal preferences. I think this tool could definitely be used in the classroom as a group project or an individual project.
However, unless you are going to publish to iBooks, your only other option is PDF which undermines interactivity, or embedding on your own web page. The file is far too big to send as email.