Last Updated: March 2, 2012
Note that this policy does not address use and disclosure of your information by Vendors whose Applications are referenced on the Service. These entities are not affiliated with edshelf, and have their own policies describing their practices that you should familiarize yourself with before using the Applications.
The Information edshelf Collects:
- User-Provided Information: When using the Service, you may provide to edshelf what is generally called "personally identifiable" information (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, payment account information (such as credit card information), demographic information, and authentication information for third party services, such as when you register for an account, and when you create User Submissions, enable single sign on, or when you interact with other Users, such as through features such as posting comments, reviews, and feedback.
- "Cookies" Information: When you use the Service, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. edshelf may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser "Help" file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Service to their fullest potential.
- Automatically Collected Information: When you use the Service or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including standard log files, "clear gifs" or "web beacons." This automatically collected information may include Internet Protocol address ("IP Address") or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Service, the pages you view on the Service, and the dates and times that you visit the Service.
- Third Party Web Beacons: We may also implement third party content, such as advertising or analytics and tracking services, on the Service that uses "clear gifs" or "web beacons", which allow the third party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser in connection with your access of that content displayed on the Service. This information is collected directly by the third party, and edshelf does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by third parties in this manner is subject to that third party's own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
- Information from Other Sources: We may also obtain information, including personally identifiable information, from third parties and sources other than the Service, such as advertisers, Vendors, or your Subscribing Organization.
The Way edshelf Uses Information: edshelf uses your information in a variety of ways in connection with the operation, support, development, enhancement, and support of the Service and our business. For example:
- edshelf uses the information you provide or that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the Service. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, we use information provided by Users in connection with integration of the Service with Vendor Applications, such as with single sign on features.
- We will use your email address to contact you for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, to address intellectual property infringement, rights of privacy, or defamation issues, or regarding User Submissions that you have posted to the Service.
- edshelf uses the information that you provide or that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our Users, to improve the way the Service works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- edshelf may use "automatically collected" information and "cookies" information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you use the Service; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the Service and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
- edshelf may use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send (a) messages about the Service, such as when you receive a message, comment, or request from another User, (b) promotional messages related to the Service and the activities of third parties we work with, such as Vendors, and (c) messages on behalf of other Users who think you may be interested in the Service, such as through "refer-a-friend" features of the Service. Generally, you will have the ability to opt-out of receiving any such communications, either through links provided in the messages, or by updating your account preferences through the Service.
When edshelf Discloses Information: edshelf is not in the business of selling your information to direct marketers. We do, however, disclose your personally identifiable information in a variety of circumstances in connection with the operation of our business. For example:
- edshelf discloses the information you provide or that we collect to Vendors in connection with the interoperation of their services (such as Applications you purchase) with the Service.
- The Service enables Users to communicate in a variety of ways. Any personally identifiable information that you voluntarily choose to include in a area on the Service that is accessible to another User, such as a public profile page or in a review, comment, posting, electronic message, or other User Submission, will be available to other Users who have access to that content. Once you make your personally identifiable information available to others any of these ways, it may be collected, used, and disclosed by the recipients without restriction.
- edshelf may provide your Subscribing Organization with information regarding your use of the Service.
- edshelf may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties, to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Service.
- edshelf works with third party service providers who provide website development, hosting, maintenance, and support as well as other business services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their work, these third parties may have access to or process your personally identifiable information. Generally, these disclosures are made under terms that restrict the use of such information in a manner comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information the purpose for which it was provided.
- edshelf may now or in the future use third party payment processing services, and your personal information will be disclosed to such providers in connection with processing your payment of fees and other transactions you initiate on the Service.
- edshelf may also disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement activity.
- edshelf works to promote a safe and reliable service for all Users, and actively supports law enforcement. We reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect edshelf and others from fraudulent, abusive, predatory, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Service; or to protect or vindicate the rights, property, or personal safety of edshelf, our Users, or others.
In the Event of Merger or Sale: In the event that all or a portion of edshelf or its assets are acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from Users in connection with such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
Your Choices: You may, of course, decline to share certain personally identifiable information with edshelf, in which case edshelf may not be able to provide to you some or all of the features and functionality found on the Service. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page through the Service. Please note that while your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics. To protect your privacy and security, we take steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THE SECRECY OF YOUR UNIQUE PASSWORD AND ACCOUNT INFORMATION AT ALL TIMES.
Third Party Services: The Service contains links to and integrates with Web sites and services provided by third parties, including without limitation Vendors. Any personally identifiable information you provide on third party sites or services is provided directly to that third party and is subject to that third party's policies, if any, governing privacy and security. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third party sites or services to which links are displayed on the Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties' privacy and security policies before providing them with personally identifiable information.
Data Security: edshelf makes use of certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards in our efforts to safeguard the integrity and security of your personally identifiable information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to edshelf, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, edshelf endeavors to secure our systems, but please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by system malfunction or circumvention of our safeguards. If edshelf learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. edshelf may post a notice through the Service if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at email@example.com.
International Visitors: The Service is hosted in the United States and other jurisdictions. If you choose to use the Service from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you may be transferring your personally identifiable information outside your home jurisdiction to the United States for storage and processing, and by providing your personally identifiable information on the Service you consent to that transfer, storage, and processing.