“Getting students to read the classics can be a challenge, but WordWhile offers a game-based hook that gets students guessing the right (and wrong) words in classic texts.”—Common Sense Education
“…absolutely delightful for any word game enthusiast..to hone their general literary knowledge, this app provides a no-judgment way to learn more about specific passages, poems, and proverbs, because choosing the wrong answer doesn’t end the game”—Dana Villamagna, Common Sense Media
Nursery rhymes, tongue twisters, proverbs, great prose and poetry. These timeless texts are missing words. Tap the author’s word and feel clever. Don’t know it? Don’t sweat it! Our ”Wrong answers” are usually pretty funny. Now you can even add your own!
Nearly 5,000 timeless words in 50 playable texts with over 1,500 missing words and 15,000 hand-crafted Novel alternatives to select…or avoid.
- UNLIMITED Player Profiles
- RELAX in Zen Mode or THRILL to Timed Mode
- LAUGH at the Silly solutions
- REFLECT on the Tricky ones and the source texts
- CREATE custom solutions
- READ the original texts
- SAVE your completed texts however you filled those gaps
- REVIEW your saved versions
- COMPARE your solution to the author’s
- ADMIRE the classy Victorian styling
- ENJOY a growing collection of playable texts (see below)
FUN FOR AGES 10+ :
- DISCOVER classic texts playfully
- GIGGLE at the puns, crazy rhymes, category errors,…
- GROW from ACCESSIBLE texts like proverbs and nursery rhymes to literary gems from Shakespeare, Dickens, Byron, Wordsworth, Browning, Donne, Fitzgerald, Hugo and more
- BOOKISH KIDS love it, even if (especially because?) it’s not “made for kids”
CLASSROOM and LIBRARY FRIENDLY :
- Unlimited player profiles on the same device
- No ads or in-app purchases
- Works offline
- No links or sharing outside the app
SILLY FUN or EXTREME LITERARY SPORT :
- Think you know these texts cold? Try picking the _wrong_ Tricky word on purpose every time with a time limit. We call that 100% Novel. It can be brutal!
- Have you got the endurance to complete the Virtuoso Race on “Once more unto the breach”? How about the “Major-General’s Song”?
- Achievements for all modes of play, text collections and challenge categories. How many can you earn?
WARNING: possible side effects of playing WordWhile include: increased vocabulary, improved memory, greater familiarity with literary classics, learning poems and famous speeches by heart…and laughter. The WordWhile Editorial Team assumes no responsibility for any learning incurred as a result of playing WordWhile…but the laughing is entirely our fault.
WHICH TIMELESS TEXTS?
The collection of playable texts is growing and any new texts will come to you as free updates. That is worth repeating: when WordWhile gets an update, take a look at “What’s New”. There are always new texts to try.
- “Proverbs”: over 40 well-known proverbs divided into eight playable texts
- “Shakespeare: Speeches and Sonnets”: “To be or not to be”, “O Romeo”, “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day” and five others
- “Children’s Classics” — 8 nursery rhymes, tongue twisters and several “Poems Every Child Should Know” including “Jabberwocky” (ADDED September 2017)
- “Pickin’s from Dickens”: “Please, sir, I want some more”, “It was the best of times”, and 10 more (ADDED September 2017)
- “Selected Poems”: “How do I love thee”, “She walks in beauty”, “Death, be not proud” and 5 more (ADDED Winter 2017)
- “Love, sweet love”: “Roses are red”, quotes from Fitzgerald’s “Tender is the Night”, Hamlet’s love letter to Ophelia, Hugo, Austen, Burns (8 texts, ADDED Valentine’s Day 2018)
|WordWhile||$2.99||Paid mobile app.|